Patrice Sartor's Reviews > Encyclopedia Horrifica: Terrifying Truth About Vampires, Ghosts, Monsters, and More

Encyclopedia Horrifica by Joshua Gee

Aug 23, 10

bookshelves: horror, supernatural, tween, young-adult

GENRE: Non-fiction, horror, history, informational entertainment.

SUMMARY: Joshua Gee has collected a wealth of true information about untrue entities: Vampires, werewolves, merpeople, ghosts and much more. Although the subject matter revolves around what is largely deemed to be fictional, Gee presents the history behind each phenomenon, so that he reader understands why some believe in these creatures. The book color pictures on every page, and the text is separated into an easy-to-read layout. Also included are interactive sections, such as letting the reader decide which set of facts is a hoax is and which is real.

EVALUATION: I enjoyed this book, and I am certainly not in the target audience. I had fun reading it with my boys, and see the strange pictures and reading the 'eyewitness' accounts. Very well done!

WHY I WOULD INCLUDE IT: This subject matter is very appealing to tweens, and combined with this style of book formatting it makes a perfect marriage. It is quite popular, and tweens will have fun while they are learning some history.

READER'S ANNOTATION: If you've ever wondered what is true and what is a hoax regarding the world of vampires and other monsters, this is the book for you.

ITEMS WITH SIMILAR APPEAL:
• Monsterology: The Complete Book of Monstrous Beasts by Ernest Dr Drake, Dugald A. Steer, and various.
• Fear This Book: Your Guide to Fright, Horror, and Things That Go Bump in the Night by Jeff Szpirglas and Ramon Perez.
• Mythology (Ologies) by Lady Hestia Evans.
• Vampyre: The Terrifying Lost Journal of Dr. Cornelius Van Helsing by Dr. Cornelius Van Helsing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Encyclopedia Horrifica.