Q-Rai's Reviews > Lucy: The Beginnings of Humankind

F 50x66
Nov 03, 10

bookshelves: educational, borrowed
Read from September 04 to November 03, 2010

Originally, I started reading this to force myself to deal with anthropology - it was part of my Human Biology class and I needed to know about it for the exam. However, I didn't like the topic during the lecture - all those monkeys and humanoids were simply boring.
However, when I started reading this book, I could actually feel a lot of Johanson's excitement for his discoveries. The first few chapters are the most interesting ones and the exam is long written (and passed - partly thanks to this book, or the bit of enthusiasm for anthropology it awakened in me), but I decided to finish the book anyway. Can't hurt to learn more, can it?

One of my favourite parts after the exciting tales about finding Lucy and other Australopithecines was the explanation of how K-Ar dating works. It was comprehensible yet detailed enough to satisfy my curiosity (mostly, I still read the Wikipedia article).

While I can't say I loved the book, it was definitely a very interesting read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lucy.

09/04/2010 page 29
6.0% "Who would have thought that I'll actually enjoy reading this?"
09/04/2010 page 74
15.0% "Anthropology can be quite interesting indeed. The book is very nicely written so you definitely don't grow bored :)"
09/05/2010 page 74
15.0% "Very well-written indeed. It feels more like a voluntary read than studying :)"
09/20/2010 page 180
37.0% "The exam I was reading this for is today. I'm not sure whether or not I'll finish it...I do enjoy reading it but in the end, I prefer novels."
09/29/2010 page 287
58.0% "Learned about K-Ar dating - quite interesting :)"
show 7 hidden updates…