Craig's Reviews > The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson

Nov 25, 11

bookshelves: classics-british, topten-third
Read in August, 2010

A chilling tale which details the interplay between the forces of good and evil. A physician/scientist endeavors to segregate his personality through alchemy into a "dual-self" by isolating the good into one being and of evil into another. The consequences are tragic. At once, the narrative becomes an allegory for humankind, depicting the devilish results which occur when a human soul, through choice, gives innocent, or at least thoughtless license to darkness. Stevenson sequentially and artfully weaves this intriguing account into a masterpiece. It has been some years since I read Robert Louis Stevenson's book, Treasure Island, and I had forgotten what a gifted writer he is. He is a consummate wordsmith and has what seems to me to be a total command of the English language. His selection of words and their careful placement one after the other is breath-taking and, for me, took precedence over the story-line itself. Though England/Scotland has produced many great authors, all with their separate abilities to deliver a great story, none I think surpass the shere brilliance of Stevenson's literary style. This book is a must read.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.