Jill's Reviews > Crispin: The Cross of Lead

Aug 25, 10

bookshelves: newbery-medal
Recommended for: kids 10-12 who like adventure stories
Read from August 24 to 25, 2010

I don't care much for Avi's writing style. He uses a lot of dashes which breaks up the sentences to the point of making the book a choppy read. Thankfully the chapters are short!

Crispin is a devout Christian at the beginning of the book. Religion is mentioned on almost every page which seems overdone, even given the time period this is meant to take place in.

I do like that throughout the book Avi talks about the idea of owning your decisions, not just leaving things up to God. (pg. 138)

pg. 13 "Time was the great millstone, which ground us to dust like kerneled wheat."

pg. 54 "On the third morning of my escape I woke to a woollike world of misty gray." Brings me right back to many mornings during high school in London.

pg. 88 "...both wheat and trust take a full season to grow."

pg. 96 "It's a thing I've noticed," the big man said with laughing scorn, "that the greater a man's--or boy's--ignorance of the world, the more certain he is that he sits in the center of that world."

pg. 132 "Crispin, there's an old soldier's saying: 'If you have to choose between alertness and worry, being alert will bring you more days of life'."

pg. 135 "I've heard it said that a man's soul may be observed behind the eyes."

pg. 158 "I'm a fool because I should like to be in Heaven before I die."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crispin.