Roger Wood's Reviews > Mordecai, the Man and His Message: The Story of Mordecai Wyatt Johnson

Mordecai, the Man and His Message by Richard I. McKinney

Aug 22, 10

bookshelves: biography, history, politics-government, the-black-establishment
Read in January, 1999

My favorite historical figure in education. Part academic, part politician, part marketer, by force of personality built Howard University, one the most important academic institutions the world has ever known. Under his leadership, the school amassed the largest collection of top Black American intellects ever in one institution simultaneously. The intellectual output was enormous, ranging from science, to philosophy, to law and business.

The writing style was difficult to follow, and my interest in the subject of the biography propelled my reading. I wish the narrative was more fluid, but I respect the author's attempt to pull a story together for the first time. McKinney put forth an honorable effort.

Mordecai Johnson deserves a first rate biography from a celebrated author, and this book may act as a catalyst for further research into such an endeavor.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mordecai, the Man and His Message.