Stacey Benefiel's Reviews > Breathless

Breathless by V.J. Chambers

Aug 23, 10

Azazel has a funny name, but the rest of her life is pretty normal. She’s been dating her football player boyfriend, Toby, since Freshman year, she has a fun BFF named Lilith, and she gets good grades in school. Her only real problem is that she wants to lose her virginity to Toby like, yesterday, but he keeps telling her he wants to wait. During one of their frustratingly chaste make out sessions, Azazel spots a boy running through the woods toward their truck, looking like he is being chased. She immediately goes to help him and get him in the truck. Toby helps too, if not reluctantly.

The boy’s name is Jason and as is the way with YA, he’s a hottie. A mysterious hottie. Because Azazel has adopted brothers and a few foster brothers living at her house, she takes Jason home with her. Her parents are totally cool with this and try to become Jason’s guardians. The only problem is, Jason doesn’t exist.

After this point there is a lot of good build up. You know Jason is “something” but not exactly what and Ms. Chambers teases us with lots of meaningful looks between Azazel and Jason to the point where I was like, “Can somebody kill Toby please, he’s getting in the way of true love.” At the Homecoming dance, Jason admits to Azazel that he has feelings for her and they kiss…and then things get super freaky in a way I was not expecting at all. The stakes are suddenly ratcheted up ten levels and much craziness ensues. I can’t tell you what because I am so not a twist ruiner.

The next book, Trembling, picks up a few months later and is an equally fun ride. If you enjoy stories about secret societies, you will really find these books interesting. They’re like the Da Vinci Code, but with 17-year-old hotties and lots more making out. They’re also pretty violent, which I like, but if you’re looking for something strictly romantic, just be warned.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breathless.