Anna's Reviews > The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Aug 22, 10

bookshelves: romancing-the-page-reviews

Review Posted on RomancingThePage.com by Laura Lynn

I had no idea what “The Hunger Games” by Suzanne Collins was about before picking it up two days ago. I had heard my friends ohhh and ahhh, but had no idea of the plot, the genre or even the characters. I laughed when I saw I was number 75 on the hold list at the library, but figured I would read it when my turn came. My turn came this weekend when a friend lent me her copy.

The Hunger Games is set in the future after war has eliminated the United States and left the country of Panem in its place. Each year the 12 districts within this country are required to select 2 youth to fight in a gladiator style battle to the death. Huger Games follows the struggle of the teenagers from District 12 from before they are chosen until the battle is over.

Now I have to admit this is not my usual fare. I do not read blood and guts stories, nor do I typically enjoy suspense novels, so I was a little apprehensive about the topic. If I had not been quickly drawn into the narrative I’m not sure I would have finished it. As it was, I was so quickly absorbed that I read almost all of the book in one sitting.

Aimed at the teenage market, the story is easy to read and the characters appeal to the adolescent crowd. That said, there is something universal about the struggle to survive that I could relate to, even buy into. While the main characters, Katniss and Peeta, are from different parts of society and their individual struggles differ, both must fight to the death inside the arena.

The story does not focus on killing as much as I had expected, instead it focuses on relationships and emotions. Topics such as friendship, loyalty, love, determination, hope, betrayal, fear, insecurity and survival make the story a rich backdrop to interact with the characters.

At 374 pages, I finished the story in 4-5 hours, and found myself unable to put it down toward the end. Suzanne Collins does a wonderful job of making the reader care about Katniss and I found myself worried about how the story would turn out.

While The Hunger Games may not make it into the classics with Bronte or Austen, it is a fun read that will draw you in and keep you engaged. There are two more books in the series, Catching Fire and Mocking Jay which hopefully will wrap up a few loose ends and complete the story of Katniss and Peeta. You should see those reviews in the upcoming weeks.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunger Games.