David's Reviews > Mein Kampf

Mein Kampf by Adolf Hitler

Aug 24, 10

bookshelves: spurned, feces

Of course I didn't expect Mein Kampf to be a great book, even within the admittedly narrow antisemitic messianic homoerotic prison genre, but I did expect a little more showmanship. If you've seen Riefenstahl's Triumph of the Will, then you know Adolf* could really work himself into an artful spittle-flying lather. My German is middling, but I've heard he was all charismatic and persuasive or whatever. Like, if you were just planning to go out for a stroll and pick up some schnitzel, you'd happen to overhear him on a radio broadcast and all of a sudden you'd be smashing windows, incarcerating Jews, and annexing strategic swaths of Lebensraum before you even knew what you were doing. He was that powerful.

Yeah, we all understand that Hitler didn't have the best taste. He was into retro-Greek kitsch and probably those paintings of clowns and kittens and whaling ships. All the more reason to expect a semi-entertaining wallow in the muck and mire. I hate to make such an outlandish comparison (not really), but if Zsa Zsa Gabor wrote a 600+ autobiography detailing her grudges and her plans for rescuing America from its position of weakness and social decadence, we'd really have a right to expect a side-splitting compendium of both balls-to-the-wall absurdity and showbiz razzle-dazzle. Why can't we expect the same from Adolf Hitler? We expect idiots to entertain us with their idiocy; we don't expect them to be dull.

I'll bet Mel Gibson's ghost writer would shit out a much better book. With more anecdotes about Jodie Foster than your standard-issue xenophobic tract.

* Holy dumbass! I just realized I've been misspelling Hitler's first name my whole life as 'Adolph.' Where did I get that from? Probably the Jews...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mein Kampf.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Greg (new)

Greg I expected great things from this book too, but instead found it tedious and blah.

Even this classy cover my copy had couldn't keep me interested enough in reading it:

message 2: by trivialchemy (last edited Aug 23, 2010 10:05AM) (new) - added it

trivialchemy I love this review. This is just how I imagine Hitler myself.

But what is this "spurned" business? Goodreads told me, "David v3.2 spurned Mein Kampf," rather than the usual "David gave x stars to Mein Kampf". How did you manage this?

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio Isaiah, all you have to do is refuse to give any stars. "spurned" is the shelf title.

trivialchemy Ok I marked Mein Kampf as "read" without giving it any stars. Did I spurn it?

message 5: by Joshua Nomen-Mutatio (last edited Aug 23, 2010 11:41AM) (new)

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio How to Spurn Like David Kowalski: Click on 'my books.' Then click '(edit)' next to 'bookshelves.' Then add a shelf called 'spurned' and then make that shelf exclusive by marking it so.

Jasmine Greg wrote: "I expected great things from this book too, but instead found it tedious and blah.

"

I agree, I have tried to read this multiple times and have yet to make it past page 200.

message 7: by Bibliomantic (new)

Bibliomantic Is this the edition that includes an introductory chapter by John Lukacs? The main text may not be worth reading, but Lukacs usually has something interesting to say.

message 8: by Erik (new)

Erik Simon I'll think I'm over you, and then I'll read a review like this, and I get that whole let's-run-away-into-the-sunset feeling all over again. Damn you, David. God damn you to hell.

message 9: by Esteban (new)

Esteban del Mal Greg wrote: "I expected great things from this book too, but instead found it tedious and blah.

"

That's the copy I once owned!

I made an attempt at this in high school, but it bored me. A friend and I ended up using it as a prop -- we'd drive around and show it to neighboring cars when we came to a stop.

Small towns are boring too, you see...

message 10: by Kristen (new)

Kristen hipster hitler
[image error]

message 11: by Manny (new) - added it

Manny I was wondering if "spurned" was a typo for "burned". But maybe you're not Jewish enough?

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio hipster hitler = hilarious!

message 13: by Greg (new)

Greg "then you know Adolf* could really work himself into an artful spittle-flying lather"

I started laughing out loud; you really have a gift for writing. Great review

message 14: by trivialchemy (new) - added it

trivialchemy Yeah, Greg, we've asked him a million times to write a book for us. But he's too busy drinking tall gin and tonics in a darkened bedroom, playing with himself and reading the delusional ravings of autocrats to abide our selfish interests.

message 15: by Meg (new) - added it

Meg Totally agree. For a man who is meant to be a brilliant orator... he is a really awful writer. Makes you wonder if he wrote his own speeches or just made them up on the fly...

Angela "Like, if you were just planning to go out for a stroll and pick up some schnitzel, you'd happen to overhear him on a radio broadcast and all of a sudden you'd be smashing windows, incarcerating Jews, and annexing strategic swaths of Lebensraum before you even knew what you were doing. He was that powerful." Love it. LOL!!

message 17: by Joshua Nomen-Mutatio (last edited May 29, 2013 05:56AM) (new)

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio I tend to doubt the so-called oratory genius of Hitler (also with a lack of knowledge of the German language), though his tone and body language were, er, um, passionate). I think he most likely was mostly an accident of history: yelling and gesticulating with mad lust for power (i.e. passion) in front of a decimated and desperate nation, offering ultimate (i.e. easy) solutions to their immense national woes.

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio This is essentially how modern day tyrants, like those three leaders of North Korea, maintain massive public sway: cashing in on immense desperation. (Not to mention isolated propaganda, fear-mongering, etc, etc, etc.

She Who Is A Dreamer Mmm... you're not funny.

message 20: by David (new) - added it

David Gee! Thanks for telling me!

Now fuck off!

message 21: by Manny (new) - added it

Manny Honestly, David, you're so dismissive sometimes. Aren't you even going to discuss the interesting point She has raised?

message 22: by David (new) - added it

David My non-funniness is a thesis too ridiculous to contemplate—like aliens at Roswell or Elvis alive and living in Kalamazoo.

message 23: by Manny (new) - added it

Manny Yes, but that's just it! She's willing to challenge convention and think out of the box!

message 24: by Esteban (new)

Esteban del Mal For what it's worth, I think that you're funny, David. But I'm self-loathing and, I'm told, even Jewish (which is redundant, I suppose), so...

message 25: by David (new) - added it

David Thanks, Esty! I was going to jump out of a window because an erudite stranger on the internet said I wasn't funny, but your kind words restored my confidence and saved me.

(The window would have only been on the first floor, incidentally.)

message 26: by Esteban (new)

Esteban del Mal Oh. If you were gonna jump, don't let me stop you. I'm a booster for that sort of thing. Just remember that you made me laugh before you extinguish yourself, tho'.

message 27: by Pain (new) - added it

Pain Without-love i beleive that it was a good book, not much of a good insparation but still a good book.