Jesse's Reviews > Change by Design: How Design Thinking Transforms Organizations and Inspires Innovation

Change by Design by Tim Brown

U 50x66
Oct 03, 2011

Read from August 22, 2010 to October 03, 2011

In Change By Design, Brown clarifies the definition of _design thinking_ and discusses companies and attempts that have and have not found success with the discipline, knowingly or otherwise. He also discusses the rough process by which innovation can be stumbled upon - because as it turns out, according to Brown - innovation is not found within the neat crosshairs of discipline, but among the rough cuts and folds of overlap between inspiration, ideation and implementation.

The writing style is slightly scattered, but perhaps that is Brown's attempt at letting us 'feel' what the design process is through his prose. It didn't get in the way of his points, but sometimes made me re-read passages to make sure I was following, or didn't miss something.

Regardless, his message is inspiring to me. In my mind Brown is suggesting that the world of business needs to find its empathy (through design thinking) in order to find success (through innovation). This empathy will be for the user, for the environment and for the human condition in general. And that is a belief I've held for some time, if only I lacked the words to describe it so well.

For me, for you...it was well worth the read simply for the way it caused my mind to consider how far we have to go in applying thought and energy towards the human condition.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Change by Design.