Bookmarks Magazine's Reviews > Super Sad True Love Story

Super Sad True Love Story by Gary Shteyngart

Aug 22, 10

bookshelves: sept-oct-2010

If we are indeed as oversexed, consumer-obsessed, gadget-distracted and dangerously superficial as Gary Shteyngart paints us in his exuberant and devastating new novel...--and let's face it, we are--will such an acidly funny, prescient book be wasted on us? ponders the San Francisco Chronicle. If the critics' reactions are any indication, the answer is a resounding no. Juxtaposing Lenny's brooding diary entries with Eunice's self-absorbed text messages, Shteyngart crafts a chilling yet disturbingly familiar tech-addled dystopia. A few shortcomings, including some contrived plot developments and Lenny's puzzling attraction to the vapid Eunice, distracted some critics, but they failed to mar Shteyngart's overall vision. Living up to its title, Super Sad True Love Story skillfully balances a charming, poignant romance with a savagely funny send-up of American culture. Editor Jon was complaining in his letter about the lack of books by younger writers on today's culture--here's a book he should try. This is an excerpt from a review published in Bookmarks magazine.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Super Sad True Love Story.