Bibliotropic's Reviews > Draw the Dark

Draw the Dark by Ilsa J. Bick

Sep 04, 10

bookshelves: netgalley
Read from August 26 to September 04, 2010, read count: 1

I am a ghost in a land of phantoms and remembered nightmares.

To be perfectly honest, the only reason that this book didn't get a 5-teacup rating is because of the method of narration toward the beginning of the story. It was written as people talk, complete with an overuse of "well," "like," and an ellipsis ended every third sentence. That thankfully ended after the first chapter or so, but while it was there, it was bordering on painful to read.

The rest of the book was pure dark deliciousness. This is a book that doesn't pull any punches with what the reader can handle. I know a lot of people get their knickers in a twist when books for teens have swearing and expressions of sexuality. This has swearing, sexuality, crude humour, complete jackasses, and gory death.

The story contained in Draw the Dark was multilayered. The issue of the sideways place, the overarching mystery surrounding David Witek, and Christian's everyday life and troubles with Karl Dekker all played their part and tied in with each other smoothly. Happily, the story didn't end with the revelations of the Witek mystery, which I had been fearing it would. It continues on after that, ties up loose ends that could easily have been overlooked by readers, and ends the story in such a way that I really can't imagine a more satisfying ending. I can imagine a happier one, sure, but not one more satisfying, nor so right-feeling.

Draw the Dark is truly a wonderful book, one that will make you want to keep turning the pages long after your common sense tells you it's time to do something else. This isn't just a book for teens. It's a book for fans of horror in general, for those who enjoy a well-told supernatural mystery, and for those who want an example of what great first-person writing is. (Once you get past the beginning, that is.) Truly, this is not a book to be missed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Draw the Dark.

Quotes Bibliotropic Liked

Ilsa J. Bick
“I am a ghost in a land of phantoms and forgotten nightmares.”
Ilsa J. Bick, Draw the Dark