Jsinclair's Reviews > The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie

Aug 22, 2010

bookshelves: yalit-books
Read on August 22, 2010

Wow! I loved the rawness (at a kid's level) of this book. Junior, the main character's insight and wonderful depictions of his feelings led the reader into a life on a reservation. The book hits on hot topics from family turmoil, alcoholism, sex and drug abuse to building strong bonds with friends, family and culture. The books highlights the many aspects of rites of passage that we all go through, just through the view of a Native American teen who is trying to be true to his tribe, family, friends and most importantly, himself. I think this book would really appeal to boys and their sense of humor as well be able to relate to what Junior goes through!

08/22/2010 page 230
100.0% "This book is great! I enjoyed the "rawness" of it on a level that I think kids can relate to. This book has a lot of potential as far supplementing curriculums to get more of insight into the reservation culture. The illustrations are an awesome way to tap into the reluctant readers mind. The book hits on hot topics from family conflict, friends, sports and sex. I think this book would really appeal to boys!"