ABC's Reviews > Night Fall

U 50x66
Aug 22, 10

bookshelves: teens-and-adults
Read in August, 2010

** spoiler alert ** I read and enjoyed DeMille's "Plum Island", but this one wasn't as good. It was funny in parts, but it was obvious where it was leading up to from almost the beginning.

There were a few holes in the plot. For example, why didn't the hotel manager mention the missing videotape at the point when he talked about the $500 security deposit covering the blanket and the alcohol? Why would the protaganist suggest the World Trade Center at the end of the book, of all places, and for the meeting to be held on THAT Tuesday morning??? (Yeah, right.) And what happened to the other tape in the safe? And why the big cover-up anyway??? What was supposed to be going on?
I also got confused about who was chasing who and what was up with Nash coming back from the dead. (There were lots of references to the book previous to the one--which left me confused since I hadn't read it.)

I have a problem with the plot being centered around true, tragic events. Was DeMille trying to make a point that it was a cover-up or just trying to write a thrilling novel? The protaganist congratulates himself at the end on his clever detective work, and it is like DeMille is saying, "I am so smart--I figured all this out!" Well, it would have been a lot more impressive if he would have published this novel prior to 9/11 instead of several years after. Hindsight is 20/20.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Night Fall.