Krystl Louwagie's Reviews > Wizard of the Crow

Wizard of the Crow by Ngũgĩ wa Thiong’o

Aug 22, 2010

I got a copy of this book for free because Hamline wanted students to read it so they could go to Ngugi's talk. I never was able to go to the talk, but I read the book (and I read it in about a week-800 pages or so-it was quite the feat let me tell you. I ate, slept, and breathed that book-lucky for me I didn't have a huge amount of homework that week).
This is a book written by a exile from Africa, and his story takes place in a fictional place in Africa, and the story starts out with rumors of how the ruler had fallen ill with a strange illness (some of them very fantastical and unrealistic). The book goes on to tell it's own elaborate story of what transpired before the illness of the ruler. It is a story talking about oppression, whiteness, and social movement. It is told in a conversational and fairy tale-ish way. I enjoyed this aspect of it very much. I enjoyed a big, important story being told in a small, magical way. It was different than anything I had ever read and recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wizard of the Crow.