Karen's Reviews > Ignorance

Ignorance by Milan Kundera

Aug 29, 10

Recommended to Karen by: My shame at being an asshole in an airport bookstore
Read from August 23 to 29, 2010 — I own a copy

The woman working behind the counter at the SFO bookstore had round warts or bumps the size of dimes and nickels covering her face and arms. I skipped to the front of the line, "I just have a question," pissed that I couldn't find a book that had plenty of sex in it, but didn't have a title written in lipstick. "Do you have any Kundera novels shelved somewhere other than just there with the rest of the fiction?" I realize now that I was trying to find In the Skin of a Lion and I had the author wrong. She typed the letters K U N D E R A, and M I L A N, with her pointer fingers, checking each carefully, "D as in dog?" As she began reading off the titles one by one, I glanced over the covers of the magazines on the wall behind her. "The Unbearable Lightness of Being?" I gave a sharp sigh and dropped my bag. "No, I've read that one..." I looked up at the ceiling. "Like I said, it's definitely something about a lion." She gave me a warm hopeful smile, sounding out the next title, “Encounter?" I'd just seen it on the shelf. No sex. "No, that's essays." Even though I had several hours until my flight, I pulled my phone out of my purse to check the time. "Can you just tell me if there are Kundera books shelved somewhere else, other than by author in the fiction section? Like on an endcap?" I half turned away, arms crossed, scanning the store. Then she read the title to this book off her screen, and mispronounced it, and I corrected her quickly, automatically, as the title on the actual book caught my eye, on display right next to the register. "Ignorance." I quickly picked up the book and shoved it across the counter. I stared down at my hands as she counted out my change. So ugly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ignorance.

Quotes Karen Liked

Milan Kundera
“When she is older she will see in these resemblances a regrettable uniformity among individuals (they all stop at the same spots to kiss, have the same tastes in clothing, flatter a woman with the same metaphor) and a tedious monotony among events (they are all just an endless repetition of the same one); but in her adolescence she welcomes these coincidences as miraculous and she is avid to decipher their meanings.”
Milan Kundera, Ignorance