Sarah's Reviews > The Lay of the Land

The Lay of the Land by Richard Ford

Oct 15, 07

Recommended for: People who like internal monologues
Read in October, 2007

This was recommended by Lex Runciman, my English professor, in his blog Far Corner Reader, so it's not a huge surprise that it reminds me of the types of books that I often read in college: the kind that I don't get as much out of unless I'm reading it with twenty other people and having thrice-weekly discussions. I'm sure that there's some sort of theme here about growing old, life in America, and stuff like that, but to me, it's just the story of Frank Bascombe, a divorced prostate-cancer-surviving real estate agent whose second wife has left him for her ex-husband (previously assumed dead). Lex said it best, "Add in a Tibetan business colleague, some random vandalism of Frank’s car, a real estate deal that Frank perversely sours, an explosion at a hospital (the same one where Frank’s son died years earlier), a set of nasty neighbors, some gun shots at close range, and Thanksgiving begins to look like a holiday from hell."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lay of the Land.