Bilbobaggins19's Reviews > The Lord of the Rings

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien

U_50x66
Aug 22, 10

I loved the Hobbit. It was light-hearted, strange, mystical, with great quests and characters who defy anyway how this world works. And combining this with a pinch of silliness, it makes it one of the greatest books ever written.

When I picked Lord of the Rings off my dad's book shelve, I expected a beautifully written book unbelievably better than the Hobbit... however, I was severly dissapointed.

The book's main storyline, a Dark Lord, a hidden king, and most of all an evil ring was absolute perfection. Also, there was some exciting battle scenes which almost changed my mind about the book. However it was downhill from there.

The book was hard and serious as death, nothing like the magical light-heartedness of the hobbit. The book connected way too much to the real world, this 180 degree transformation from The Hobbit absolutely destroyed everything of what I knew about Middle-Earth for me. Also, the book was much too overly descriptive and dragged on with dull, overly serious stories of unimportant little middle-earthers. Maybe there was something deeper into these minor stories, but the souless writting of the characters kept my mind off their olden stories. Also, the love between Frodo and Sam was pretty creepy.

I could go on much longer about this book, however I would just like to summon this review with what annoyed me the most; the abscence of the silliness and strangness in which Hobbit excelled at.

I'm sorry to say that, but I think this was a bad book. The only reason I gave it two stars was because of the great storyline.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lord of the Rings.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Brandon Well, the reason is that The Hobbit is actually a children's book and J.R.R. Tolkien wrote it for his kid's so it is obviously more lighthearted. Some may say it drags on and is overly descriptive but really it is just great worldbuilding. That's what makes it great, Middle-Earth seems like it could be a real place.