Amy's Reviews > Still Missing

Still Missing by Chevy Stevens

Sep 10, 2010

Read in September, 2010

Before I begin, I want to warn you that this thriller is not for the faint of heart and to please consider yourself warned before picking this book up! Chelsea Cain fans though will find a new author and psychopath to love-to-hate in this debut novel from Chevy Stevens.

Annie O’Sullivan has been trying to put her life together after a year of captivity as she rehashes what has happened to her through her weekly therapy sessions. As the story of her time in captivity unfolds, the reader is taken on a haunting journey and is able to witness the psychological traumas that face Annie as she tries to break the habits that she had to endure and find a new normalcy to her life.

Before her abduction, Annie is a realtor who is hosting an open house on a relatively quiet Sunday. When a handsome young man comes to the house, she is thrilled to show him around and hoping for her first big sale. She realizes quickly, when a gun is pushed into her back, that this may be her last open house.

After giving her a drug to knock her out, she awakens to find herself in a cabin in the middle of nowhere, held in captivity by a man that she only refers to as, “The Freak.” The Freak has thought of everything to make her stay in the cabin as comfortable and sterile as possible. He has thought of every simple little detail from the childlike dresses he wants her to wear, to her grooming schedule, to her dinner schedule, and even how she is to meticulously care for the cabin. One misstep in this OCD world, calculates into beatings, the loss of food, and the loss of any human connection for days on end. When she is told that she is to have his baby, she knows that she may never see her friends and family again and that her stay may be a permanent one.

As the pieces are pulled together, it is shocking how The Freak has found Annie and who ultimately caused her captivity. Through the sessions with the therapist, you discover right along with Annie how she was betrayed and the irreversible damage that she has had to suffer, through this surprising ending.

The chapters are short, reminiscent of a James Patterson book, and the writing is not as solid as I would have hoped. I think that the story and the plot really held it together though for me, and ultimately was a book that I managed to read in a day because I just could not put it down.

Please Note- This book contains violence, sexuality, and adult language. Did I mention it is not for the faint of heart?
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Still Missing.

06/20 marked as: read