Lisa Kay's Reviews > The Prize

The Prize by Julie Garwood

[image error]

★★★★½ (This is a review of the audiobook.) Anne Flosnik reads this classic medieval Julie Garwood tale rather nicely. If she is somewhat “stilted” in areas, she makes up for it in others. By “stilted” I mean where the story is pure narrative she sounds stiff. I also wasn’t crazy over our Norman hero, Baron Royce’s voice; by trying to lower him to a baritone, he comes across sounding “stuffy” and that isn’t the way I heard him in my head (always a difficult – if not impossible – job!).

Call to Arms, by Edmund Blair Leighton
description

Nevertheless, Ms. Flosnik does a wonderful job with our Saxon heroine, Lady Nicholaa, and handles the humor and action with the right tone and animation. She has various voices for multiple castle and court members (I only caught once where she didn’t slip completely into the assigned accent). Otherwise, her narration has too much monotonicity for my taste. My attention was held, but I think that was by the story and not necessarily the delivery. Ms. Flosnik sounds better when she appears interested in the storyline. I’ll definitely listen to more of her readings.

I’m hoping to get permission to add this beautiful picture. Until then, here is the hyperlink: Portchester Castle .

The medieval romance itself holds up quite well after twenty-one years. I love that Royce and Nicholaa are dealing with the everyday drudgery and disagreements over castle remodeling. I can’t help thinking this is a novel that would certainly be edited down if it were written today, much to my consternation – and everyone’s loss.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Prize.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Nice review, Lisa Kay! And the pic of Portchester Castle is beautiful!

Lisa Kay Thanks, Baba! Isn't it? I hope the photographer lets me post it.

message 3: by Kristen (Peddler of Smut) (last edited Mar 08, 2012 02:25PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Great review, Lisa Kay! As always, I love your pictures. I think I would have a hard time listening to a romance audiobook. It would embarrass me to no end listening to someone read a love scene. I have no problems reading one, but to listening to one...uncomfortable! Lol.

Lisa Kay Thanks, Kristen! I know, if I have my headphones on, I get a little uncomfortable if someone else comes around me when the love scene pops up, LOL!

message 5: by Karla (new)

Karla Ooooh Lisa Kay, I love the knight and the pic of the castle. Wonderful review!!

Lisa Kay Thanks, Karla! ☺

UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva Love, love, love, love, love, LOVE this book!!!

And your pictures and review, too!

Lisa Kay LOL! Thanks, Dhes! ☺

message 9: by Kelly22 (new) - added it

Kelly22 Lovely review and beautiful pictures Lisa! Very nicely done :)

Lisa Kay Thanks, Kelly!