Lisa Kay's Reviews > Love in the Afternoon

Love in the Afternoon by Lisa Kleypas

★★★★ ½ I just love Beatrix! Why wouldn't I, when she is such an animal lover? I listen to a ton of audiobooks when I "re-read" books, and I recently listened to this one this year. The narrator, Rosalyn Landor, did such a wonderful Beatrix, I enjoyed it even more the second time. The voice inflections were spot-on, making the book that much more funny. I just sent in my Top Ten Audiobooks 2011 to a blog where I sometimes guest review, and this audiobook was my #4.

Oh! And, and it goes without saying; Christopher was dreamy. **sigh**
18 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love in the Afternoon.

Quotes Lisa Kay Liked

Lisa Kleypas
“I’ll tell you what I’m fighting for. Not for England, nor her allies, nor any patriotic cause. It’s all come down to the hope of being with you..”

Lisa Kleypas
“I’m fairly certain, Captain, that the more you discover about me, the more you will dislike me. Therefore, let’s cut to the chase and acknowledge that we don’t like each other. Then we won’t have to bother with the in-between part.”

She was so bloody frank and practical about the whole thing that Christopher couldn’t help but be amused. “I’m afraid I can’t oblige you.”

“Why not?”

“Because when you said that just now, I found myself starting to like you.”

“You’ll recover,” she said.”

Lisa Kleypas
“Captain Phelan,” Cam asked, choosing his words with care. “Have you come to ask for our consent to marry Beatrix?”
Christopher shook his head.

“If I decide to marry Beatrix, I’ll do it with or without your consent.”

Leo looked at Cam. “Good God,” he said in disgust. “This one’s worse than Harry.”

Lisa Kleypas
“Captain Phelan and I dislike each other,” Beatrix told her. “In fact, we’re sworn enemies.”
Christopher glanced at her quickly. “When did we become sworn enemies?”
Ignoring him, Beatrix said to her sister, "Regardless, he’s staying for tea.”
“Wonderful,” Amelia said equably. “Why are you enemies, dear?”
“I met him yesterday while I was out walking,” Beatrix explained. “And he called Medusa a ‘garden pest,’ and faulted me for bringing her to a picnic.”
Amelia smiled at Christopher. “Medusa has been called many worse things around here, including ‘diseased pincushion,’ and ‘perambulating cactus.”

Lisa Kleypas
“Beatrix,” Amelia said over her shoulder as they proceeded through the hallway. “Perhaps you should reconsider your attire. Poor Captain Phelan may find it somewhat shocking.”
“But he’s already seen me like this,” came Beatrix’s voice from behind Christopher, “and I’ve already shocked him. What is the point in changing clothes? Captain, would you feel more comfortable if I took my breeches off?”
“No,” he said hastily.
“Good, I’ll keep them on. Really, I don’t see why women shouldn’t dress like this all the time. One can walk freely and even leap. How is one to chase after a goat in skirts?”

Lisa Kleypas
“Beatrix puts a distance between herself and the rest of the world. She’s very engaging, but also quite private in nature. I see the same qualities in Captain Phelan.”

“Yes,” Amelia said. “You’re absolutely right, Catherine. Put that way, the match does seem more appropriate.”

“I still have reservations,” Leo said.

“You always do,” Amelia replied. “If you’ll recall, you objected to Cam in the beginning, but now you’ve accepted him.”

“That’s because the more brothers-in-law I acquire,” Leo said, “the better Cam looks by comparison.”

Lisa Kleypas
“All right, then,” she snapped, “do as you please! Perhaps afterward we could manage a coherent discussion.” Twisting beneath him, she flopped onto her stomach.

Christopher went still. After a long hesitation, she heard him ask in a far more normal voice, “What are you doing?”

“I’m making it easier for you,” came her defiant reply. “Go on, start ravishing.”

Another silence. Then, “Why are you facing downward?”

“Because that’s how it’s done.” Beatrix twisted to look at him over her shoulder. A twinge of uncertainty caused her to ask, “Isn’t it?”

His face was blank. “Has no one ever told you?”

“No, but I’ve read about it.”

Christopher rolled off her, relieving her of his weight. He wore an odd expression as he asked, “From what books?”

“Veterinary manuals. And of course, I’ve observed the squirrels in springtime, and farm animals and-”

She was interrupted as Christopher cleared his throat loudly, and again. Darting a confused glance at him, she realized that he was trying to choke back amusement.

Beatrix began to feel indignant. Her first time in a bed with a man, and he was laughing.

“Look here,” she said in a businesslike manner, “I’ve read about the mating habits of over two dozen species, and with the exception of snails, whose genitalia is on their necks, they all—” She broke off and frowned. “Why are you laughing at me?

Christopher had collapsed, overcome with hilarity. As he lifted his head and saw her affronted expression, he struggled manfully with another outburst. “Beatrix. I’m . . . I’m not laughing at you.”

“You are!”

“No I’m not. It’s just . . .” He swiped a tear from the corner of his eye, and a few more chuckles escaped. “Squirrels . . .”

“Well, it may be humorous to you, but it’s a very serious matter to the squirrels.”

Lisa Kleypas
“Beatrix, do you know what happens to girls who ask such naughty questions?”
“They’re ravished in haylofts?” she inquired hopefully.”

Lisa Kleypas
“When Christopher finished, there was a moment of silence.
Leo looked at Cam expectantly. “Well?”
“Well what?”
“Now is the time when you dredge up one of your blasted Romany sayings. Something about roosters laying eggs, or pigs dancing in the orchard. It’s what you always do. Let’s have it.”
Cam gave him a sardonic glance. “I can’t think of one right now.”
“By God, I’ve had to listen to hundreds of them. And Phelan doesn’t have to hear even one?”

Lisa Kleypas
“Bending his head over hers, Leo murmured, "When I give you away at the altar, Bea, I want you to remember something. I'm not really giving you away. I'm merely allowing him the chance to love you as much as the rest of us do.”

Lisa Kleypas
“No marriage stays in the same pattern forever. It is both the best feature of marriage and the worst, that it inevitably changes.”

Lisa Kleypas
“I didn't mean to send love letters, but that is what they became. On their way to you, my words turned into heartbeats on the page.”
Lisa Kleypas, Love in the Afternoon

message 1: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited Dec 29, 2011 04:58PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Love the letter writing image, Lisa Kay! And I love Beatrix, too, and yes, Christopher did get dreamy later on. When he wasn't being so blind. LOL

message 2: by Zumbagirl (new) - added it

Zumbagirl I can't wait to read this book! I need some LK. I have Sugar Daddy waiting for me from the library.

Lisa Kay **waves** Hi, Jayne! Yes, loved Beatrix and Christopher's improved eye-sight. ☺

Lisa Kay Are you going to listen to it via audiobook, Zumbagirl?

message 5: by Zumbagirl (new) - added it

Zumbagirl No, I bought the DTB. I have never listened to an audiobook - but I just got The Viscount Who Loved Me The Epilogue II (Bridgertons, #2.5) by Julia Quinn on audiobook and will try it out tomorrow. I'm not sure if I'll like listening rather than reading, but I have to give it a try. I figure I can walk or cook while I get my storytime:)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Wondferufl review, Lisa Kay!! I love Beatrix too!

Lupdilup Duffy I totally agree, it was just plain wonderful! Rosanlyn Landor is terrific!

Lisa Kay Great, Zumbagirl! LMK how you like multitasking, LOL! ☺

Lisa Kay Thanks, Dhes! Happy New Year, to you and yours!

Lisa Kay Yes, Loupe, she excelled on this one. ☺