Jules's Reviews > The Darkest Night

The Darkest Night by Gena Showalter

Aug 25, 2010

bookshelves: swapped, reviewed

I wasn't sure what to expect when I started this book. I had read a lot of really good reviews for the author and this series, "Lords of the Underworld." Stories about demons aren't overly familiar to me, but I was curious about this particular group of books. This is the first Gena Showalter book I've read and it's definitely not my last.

HOOKED doesn't even begin to describe my reaction to this great book. I started reading it in the afternoon and was done before dinnertime. It went everywhere with me while I was finishing it up. I am on the hunt now for the others in the series.

This book was full of mystery, passion, and torment. It's a beautifully woven story of a woman who can't stop the voices in her head and an immortal who can't live life. They find in each other a glimmer of hope and possibility. The characters are rich and interesting with a lovely, instant connection that you watch grow and deepen. I liked that Gena Showalter didn't go overboard with the sex scenes as some of these type of books are known for. Don't get me wrong, there is some good, sexy steam ~ it's just not the whole entire premise of the book. It enhances and builds upon, instead of replacing the storyline.

Greek mythology is blended into the backbone of the story with each of these tormented immortals being tormented by one of Pandora's demons from the box. I do wish there'd been more pertinent details regarding the Titans and the Greek Gods that are mentioned in the book, but maybe that'll be in a later story???? I feel that in this first book there is a large "setting of the scene" for the further installments as you get a lot of information and groundwork being laid that isn't quite wrapped up at the end.

This book is highly recommended for those who love the paranormal and romance genres. It is a well-crafted story that makes this reader crave much, much more from this author and series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Darkest Night.