Maria (Ri)'s Reviews > What Dads Need to Know About Daughters/What Moms Need to Know About Sons

What Dads Need to Know About Daughters/What Moms Need to Know... by John Burns

Aug 21, 10

bookshelves: nonfiction, parenting, read-in-2010
Read in August, 2010

I feel really torn about this book. Parts of it felt so true. Other parts I really reeled against. I'm not so much into the overly Christian and Bible-ish parts and found myself skimming over that. There was a beautiful message to be gained aside from that though. I've known that a father's relationship with his daughter can have a profound impact on her and her future relationships. It was nice to have this reaffirmed and described in a slightly different way. It was also great to read about the importance of my relationship with my son as well as ways to help him develop in positive ways.

My main problem with the book was the premise of strict gender roles. While so much of it felt deeply true, the feminist in me really recoiled. I am still processing how I feel about it. The great thing is that it made me question my own beliefs and re-evaluate my own ideas. Any book that can get you to think is valuable!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Dads Need to Know About Daughters/What Moms Need to Know About Sons.