Pbwritr's Reviews > The Kapellmeister's Daughter

U 50x66
Aug 21, 10

bookshelves: historical-fiction
Read in January, 2009

Well, I am completed biased towards this book because I published it! But, then again, I would not have agreed to publish it, putting in a great deal of time, effort, and finances if I hadn't loved it to begin with. Helen Carson is a member of my writer's group and she had been reading chapters of her manuscript when I joined the group quite a few years ago. Then the reading went silent because she had read it all, but I hadn't heard it all, just a few chapters. I finally secured a copy in Jan 2009 to read it myself and thought I would love to publish it. I knew I couldn't begin until Jan 2010, and Helen was patient. It took a lot of work, but we couldn't be prouder.

This book is a work of historical fiction. Helen has a charming way of writing that puts you into the time period of long ago with its elegant style. The Linden family spends many summers in the Far East where the father, Franz, is an orchestra leader playing dance music in various hotels. Some of the children become part of the orchestra over time. Elena, only 3 years old when the book starts, is a young woman of 17 when World War I begins. She's in love with an Italian architect much older than she is, but the war intrudes. As German citizens, the Linden family become prisoners of war in Siam, India, and Australia. Through letters between family members and great historical research, Helen has done a marvelous job in evoking that particular time period, and the characters are distinct and memorable. Beautiful story!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kapellmeister's Daughter.