Pbwritr's Reviews > Say You're One of Them

U 50x66
Aug 21, 2010

bookshelves: foreign
Read in June, 2010

Wow. Was this book an eye-opener. We in America or the rest of the industrialized world reallly have no concept of what it is like to live on the edge of total survival. In a matter-of-fact tone, the author takes us into everyday life in various African locales, mostly with the desolately poor but also with others. The most amazing facts of these lives are tossed out as if they are common knowledge, for example, how one family living under a tarp in an alley saved the glue for the children so their bellies wouldn't hurt from hunger. And yet, despite all the deprivation, people still laugh and have dreams, which yank at the heartstrings because they are so attainable for us and yet something to wish for for these people. This is a very hard book to read emotionally. It will take a lot out of you. I may have to read it again sometime when I know the horrors already that will be unfolding and perhaps not be so stunned again.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Say You're One of Them.