Jess's Reviews > The Demolished Man

The Demolished Man by Alfred Bester

Aug 22, 10

bookshelves: fours-and-fives
Read from August 17 to 22, 2010, read count: 1

I picked up this book on the off chance that I would be able to make my monthly book club at work that I can never seem to get to, even if I do finish the book. I'd never heard of this one and wasn't sure what to expect. It was really really good. I finished it in just a few days and found myself thinking about it very often. I find it really interesting that it was written in the 1950s and set in 2301. It has many of the technologies that are starting to be in use today, like video phones instead of regular phones. The story was so well put together that I finished the second half in about a day.

I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a book that's not your regular book. That's exciting and unpredictable. It was just what I needed. Turns out I won't probably be able to make book club this month. It's too bad, as I am now really looking forward to it. I'm just glad I picked it up and read it.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Demolished Man.

Quotes Jess Liked

Alfred Bester
“If a man's got talent and guts to buck society, he's obviously above average. You want to hold on to him. You straighten him out and turn him into a plus value. Why throw him away? Do that enough and all you've got left are the sheep.”
Alfred Bester, The Demolished Man