Lydia Presley's Reviews > Vanishing and Other Stories

Vanishing and Other Stories by Deborah Willis

Aug 21, 2010

bookshelves: 2010, fiction, short_stories
Read in August, 2010

There may have been a little bit of magic in this book.

VANISHING and OTHER STORIES is a collection of short stories written by Deborah Willis. Every story deals with an absence of some sort; a missing father, a dead wife, a lover parted, childhood lost.

The writing in this book is phenomenal. Incredibly beautiful and moving and by the time I finished each short story I felt as if I'd been sucked into some kind of time warp and, in the process of just a few real-time minutes, read a novel of depth, length and substance. From the first sentence of each of these stories I was drawn into a world that needed no building because that sentence gave me a true sense of the history behind the story before it even really began.

This Other Us is one of the stories that seems to catch everyones attention and, while interesting and.. disturbing in its own way, it was Traces that really enraptured me. Focusing a story on senses and thoughts, the thoughts of a woman toward the woman who is usurping her in her husbands affections - and the twist.. oh the twist had me curling my toes and feeling the heat of anger inside of me wanting to erupt.

I'm not usually a fan of short stories (and this is the second collection I've read of them) but this book is a beautiful, perfect example of just how perfect they can be.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vanishing and Other Stories.