Sandy Williams's Reviews > The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Aug 21, 10

bookshelves: 2010, young-adult
Read in August, 2010

** spoiler alert ** I've been putting off reading this book ever since it was released. I don't have a real interest in dystopian lit. It just doesn't appeal to me and so I never really wanted to give this book a try. The only reason I bought it was because everyone raves about it, but I thought it was going to be overrated.

It wasn't.

Once Katniss kissed Peeta's cheek, I was hooked. I absolutely could not put it down. I finished reading the last 20 pages in the car, knowing I was going to get dreadfully motion-sick. Then, after I finished, I thrust it into the hands of a friend (You better be reading this book now, Shelli!) and demanded she read it.

I don't think the plot was unique. It was well done, but the characters interested me the most. Katniss is freaking awesome. I feel like I know her, and now that I'm finished with this book, I find I'm missing reading about her. She's resourceful and capable and cunning in her own way. If I was in The Hunger Games, she's the person I'd want to partner up with. She's a girl that could keep you alive.

I like Peeta. Really, I do. I thought I'd completely fallen in love with him during his interview, but later on during the games, I found that I like him more as a friend than a love interest. He ends up being a sweet guy, but not *that* sweet. He lost a few brownie points when he "finished off" that one injured kid at the beginning of the games. I get that killing is why they're there, but I wanted him to be different. I wanted him to "stay himself" as he claimed he wanted to do earlier on the roof of the training center.

The only thing Peeta does in the book after that is save Katniss's life once. Then, she saves his over and over again. He's a fun guy to talk to, but he's just sort of weak. Sorry. I do love him, but I'm on Team Gale.

And this is where I have to really applaud the author. Gale is in the book for only around 20 pages, and I thoroughly fall in love with him. He's got a backbone. He's resourceful. He can protect Katniss (if she ever needs protecting), and he's obviously loved her for quite some time. Despite his short page-time, I feel like I know him, and I feel like he's a better match for Katniss. They can make each other better, stronger people. If Katniss and Peeta hook up, I think they'll both just fade away.

But maybe Peeta will become a stronger character in Catching Fire. I don't not like him; I just love Gale so much more.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunger Games.

04/08 marked as: read

Mike Salzman Second book is just as good I thought

Sandy Williams Just finished it! Must have MOCKINGJAY ***NOW***!