Helen's Reviews > Virtual War

Aug 21, 2010

it was ok
Recommended for: no one older than 12
Read in August, 2010

** spoiler alert ** The premise had some potential, I think. Had I been a kid in middle school, around 6th or 7th grade, I would have gobbled this up. The story is weak, though, so even then, I don't think it would have held up to my preteen sci-fi connoisseur scrutiny.

I'm often a bit annoyed by cliches in futuristic books, and this book had plenty of them. Hovercars, special one-piece suits, virtual reality, genetic engineering, synthetic foods, and futuristic material that molds itself into different shapes? Sorry, I'm going to need something a little more imaginative and original. On top of that, it reminded me too much of Ender's Game, and pales in comparison to it.

Seriously, I just felt like it was a huge ball of cliches from greater sci-fi books and movies. Descriptions could have been better as well. The games Corgan played were important to the story, and the war game was very important. However, I felt like I couldn't picture it at all. Such a shame.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Virtual War.

Jack The stuff in it is called aerogel and it it a real substance and does what is said in the book so it isn't that cliched in that instance.

Helen Jack wrote: "The stuff in it is called aerogel and it it a real substance and does what is said in the book so it isn't that cliched in that instance."

Hi, thanks for your comment. That was basically my point, though; none of those things are particularly novel or imaginative, especially if they exist in reality in some form already. They are definitely big sci-fi staples, and I would have been more impressed by this book if a little more thought were put into those environmental things that can REALLY make a story unique.