Kellie's Reviews > Beautiful Lies

Beautiful Lies by Lisa Unger

Aug 21, 10

bookshelves: 2010-reads, bookclub-books, mystery-thrillers
I own a copy

t’s been a while since I’ve read a book that grabbed me like this one. I liked the story, I liked the writing style and I liked the characters. The story is about a woman who saves a little boy on the streets of New York and gets national attention. That’s not ALL the attention she gets. Soon, her past starts to unravel and share secrets she was not prepared to discover. One thing I like about this author is her talent with words. It amazes me when an author can capture a certain phrase so that you stop, go back, read it again and say to yourself, “Wow, that’s an interesting way to say it.” On page 114, Unger is describing the character of a writer. “Writers are first and foremost observers. We watch. We lose ourselves in the watching and then the telling of the world we find. Often we feel on the fringes, in the margins of life. And that’s where we belong. What you are part of, you cannot observe.” That’s it, that’s the quote that stuck out for me. ”What you are part of, you cannot observe.” This distinguishes the memorable writers from the not so. I really enjoyed this book. I’m going to find other books by this author. I hope they are just as good!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beautiful Lies.