Amy Reed's Reviews > The Unbearable Lightness of Being

The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera

F 50x66
Jan 07, 08

Recommended for: NO ONE

I have a bone to pick with Kundera and his following. People, this has got to be the most over-rated book of human history. I mean, references to infidelity alone (even infidelity that makes use of funky costumes like '50s ganster hats--the only note-and-applauseworthy aspect this book!) do NOT make for good literature, and such is The Unbearable Lightness of Being, in a nutshell. The male protaganist is, hands down, a one-dimensional and boring buffoon, while the female protaganist is lackluster and underdeveloped. This book is not but chicken soup for those obnoxious, lonely intellectuals who wish they could be playaz, and therefore admire Dr. Love's trite antics. In addition, Kundera's references to philosophy and Beethoven were clearly extracted from a cracker jack box. In conclusion, the emperor has no clothes! Kundera-following (and you are the majority), free yourselves (!), and stop pretending that this book is good.
77 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unbearable Lightness of Being.

Eozenaj Oh man I know

Nicolletta Your review is quite ironic in that it is pretentious. It doesn't account for individual taste and the fact that everyone will take from a novel something different. Why didn't you concentrate on expressing your own opinion of the novel rather than poorly criticising differing opinions to yours?

message 3: by Alison (new) - added it

Alison Orr I don't believe there WERE any 50s gangster hats in the novel.

Bobby Bermea This is an interesting phenomenon on Goodreads and maybe all over the place. One person doesn't like a book so they call into question the intentions behind everyone who does.

message 5: by Alison (new) - added it

Alison Orr "Look how many attempts at witty barbs I can make!"
Negative views are fair enough but the way you have expressed them is more suitable for the discussion boards. They are separate from the reviews section for a reason.

message 6: by Ali (new) - rated it 1 star

Ali This is what I was trying to say...you said it better. Thanks.

Kristen Apparently seemless execution of subtext mirroring decades of society changing philosophy, reflections on European political strife and it's psychological implications, and brilliant uses of literary devices are just no match for your intellectual prowess, huh? I guess generations of "lonely intellectuals" are all just not reading deeply enough into the story to tease out the bullshit you were able to draw from the text. Please have mercy on our idiocy.

Simon Loved you review. "This book is not but chicken soup for those obnoxious, lonely intellectuals..":D very well said.

message 9: by Lizzy (new)

Lizzy M. And has a really lousy and empty ending.

message 10: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy I liked the book a little more than this, but still, bravo.

message 11: by Jamie (new) - rated it 1 star

Jamie I agree, what a shocker. The line abot uutut women like the weight of men on top of them during sex as allpoets agree throughout the ages . Gee whiz how dumb. Of course all the poets are menprob . Pretenious , grandiose, unreadable.