Debra Chapoton's Reviews > Incarceron

Incarceron by Catherine Fisher

Aug 23, 10

Recommended to Debra by: bigpinelodge@gmail.com
Read from August 21 to 23, 2010

Incarceron is a captivating fantasy of two worlds, one a throwback to the times of princes, palaces and courtly protocol, the other a dark, mechanically alive prison of thugs, half-human creatures and the cruel prison itself. Remember the Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s court? Well, imagine a futuristic era that decides to keep the whole world under the etiquette and code of behavior of that early time. Modern devices aren’t allowed and yet they creep into scenes in a most believable way as perfectly acceptable anachronisms. The prison warden’s daughter was betrothed to a prince who died under mysterious circumstances and now she must marry his half-brother. As the wedding day nears the daughter thinks she has discovered a dark secret and the key to the hidden prison. At the same time there is an inmate searching for the truth to his own identity, unearthing prison secrets and finding a duplicate key. This is probably young adult literature, but I was enchanted and it held my interest. I recommend it and if I was a kid doing a college paper on it I could easily find lots of symbolism.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Incarceron.