Claudette's Reviews > Stolen: A Letter to My Captor

Stolen by Lucy Christopher

Jan 18, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011, young-adult, favorite-books-read-in-2011, want-to-read-the-most, romance, own-on-paper
Recommended for: everyone
Read on January 10, 2011 — I own a copy

It happened like this.

I was stolen from an airport.
Taken from everything I knew, everything I was used to.
Taken to sand and heat, dirt and danger.

And he expected me to love him.

This is my story. A letter from nowhere.

Stolen is one of those books that are bound to leave a mark in our minds. That make you question your own morals and beliefs. And most of all, that make you cry like you never did.

I don't know what first captured me about this book, if it was the cover, the unusual yet intriguing plot, or the fact that the book was a letter.
The point is, at the end of the book I was left with an unexplainable void inside my chest that got me thinking.

Ever wonder how it would be to leave everything and everyone and run away to some remote, untraceable place? To never have to think about work, school, family, troubles and so on? To never hear the traffic of the city again? I did. Many times. (And the fact that I often thought of the Australian desert as my personal remote, untraceable place gave me the creeps, but still.)
So I totally got Ty's feelings. His reasons, too. I'm not trying to justify his actions - kidnapping is a bad, bad thing, no matter how you look at it - but his frailty and his gentleness towards Gemma made me immediately fall for him. His need for freedom, from modern world, from modern people's mentality, reminds me a lot of the person I wanted to become when I was a little, blissfully ignorant child. And his fits of rage ans his almost-craziness...what can I say, I have a thing for psychos.

I liked Gemma too, although some of her actions left me skeptic (or very mad, if she was being particularly mean to Ty. What can I say? I loved that guy.)
Her pain and fear, though, were things beyond my comprehension. Being kidnapped isn't something I had to endure (thank God), so an abducted girl's feeling aren't exactly in my range of knowledge.

And although I personally didn't agree with Gemma's last decision, I had to be realistic: a kidnapped girl, no matter how kind the kidnapper is and her feelings for him, is still a kidnapped girl. So she did what she had to do and she was strong enough to go on with her old, or maybe a new, life. And to forgive him for everything wrong he did.

PS: thank you, sis, for this wonderful Christmas present :)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stolen.

10/28/2010 page 50

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Arlene Perfectly said Claudette. At the end of the day, a crime is a crime is a crime. What an emotional journey this book took me on! Great review!

Claudette Thank you!