Nikki (Wicked Awesome Books)'s Reviews > The Iron Thorn

Feb 21, 11

bookshelves: ya, feb11, 2011-ya-debut, read-in-2011, arc
Read from February 18 to 21, 2011

4.5

The Iron Thorn is my first real venture into steampunk and I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed it. The world of Lovecraft, an alternate 1950’s Massachusetts, is all iron and machines. I could feel the cold, hard metal with each page. Caitlin Kittredge is a master at bringing this world to life and is so detailed in her storytelling that I not only read about Aoife’s journey, but I became a member of her rogue group.

Aoife herself is far from the 1950’s standard of an upstanding lady. Her brash behavior and strong demeanor makes her stand out amongst other girls, and it does not go unnoticed. Not by her best friend Cal, nor Dean, their rough and tumble guide out of Lovecraft. This possible love interest is nearly eclipsed by Aoife’s search for her wayward, and most likely mad brother, Conrad. Her need to help him propels her into a world of magic and witchcraft and things she never would have believed to be real.

The magic plays a huge role in the story and I hadn’t really expected that, though I welcomed it. Learning all the details of the past that Aoife never knew opens up so many doors and unexpected twists. I didn’t even know that one very large aspect of the story was going to come into play, though in hindsight I probably should have. Either way, I loved it. I loved getting to know Aoife, wanting to punch Cal, inching closer to Dean, and discovering an interest in the clockwork house of Graystone.

The necrovirus that lays dormant in Aoife’s blood is never forgotten about, even as she desperately tries to find her brother before the madness takes hold. Her encounter with ghouls and voices and diaries that show her images really add to this feeling of a lingering insanity. Surrounding all of this is Dean. I’m pretty sure I need to have a closet (like several other bloggers) to lock book boys in to keep forever. Dean is joining Will from Angelfire in my closet because I want him. He has a James Dean air about him with all his swagger and bravado, but he can be vulnerable too. I can’t blame Aoife for wanting to let him in.

The Iron Thorn is creepy and dark and filled with things that go bump in the night and I wouldn’t want it any other way. It’s a story full of secrets and surprises, old-fashioned ideas and language, but more so about a girl desperate to cling to the only family she ever had, despite the fact that she may be losing her mind. Long as it may be, The Iron Thorn opens up a trilogy that I plan on devouring and rereading many times in the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Iron Thorn.