Jennifer's Reviews > Book of a Thousand Days

Book of a Thousand Days by Shannon Hale

Jan 12, 08

bookshelves: teen
Read in January, 2008

** spoiler alert ** There is nothing more depressing than professing to have a favorite author and time after time, feeling a little let down by that author's books. I adored The Goose Girl , but couldn't fall in love with Enna Burning and The Princess Academy, no matter how hard I tried. Thank goodness for A Book of a Thousand Days, a book I could hardly put down. Like The Goose Girl, the main character (Dashti) is strong, intelligent, and extremely likeable, and Hale's writing reads like good chocolate - I just wanted to lean back and let each word melt, slowly. And how can one not love a book where a cat is held in such high esteem???

That said, one little thing about the book has bothered me since I finished it, and I'm writing it here to see what others think (in other words, BIG FAT SPOILER ALERT!). When Dashti reveals herself to Tegus as Lady Saren (whom, of course, she is not), why doesn't he pause for a moment and consider how odd it is that a girl claiming to be gentry knew all of a mucker's healing songs? It seemed to me that his acceptance of her identity was a little too simplified. And this is more like wishful thinking than criticism, but I would have loved it if My Lord leapt onto the empty chair during the chief's meeting that decided Dashti's fate. That would have been too good.

I really did love this book and anxiously await the next Hale offering, whatever it might be!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Book of a Thousand Days.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Did you read Austenland? I didn't love it, and I didn't love Princess Academy either, although I liked it well enough. I haven't read this one yet and my list just keeps getting longer!

Jennifer I haven't read Austenland, but from what reviews I've read, I shouldn't bother.

This one was good...you should move it to the top of your list!

message 3: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Austenland was cute, it was a good fluff read. I didn't hate it. What would make my luck even better is if BOATD is a printz or newberry winner/honor cause those come out today and I expect I'll have a lot to read. I read weird things this year, not award books.