Nikki (Wicked Awesome Books)'s Reviews > Mockingjay

Aug 25, 2010

bookshelves: dystopian, read-in-2010, series, favorites
Read on August 24, 2010

*SPOILER FREE*
I finished Mockingjay just last night and having just re-read some of my favorite parts, I have to say that I’m feeling completely drained. Both mentally and emotionally. The closing book in the trilogy is a whirlwind of everything that made the previous two books brilliant, but this one holds a much more terrifying and foreboding tone.

Every twist, every surprise will tear you apart in some way. It’s really difficult for me to describe it if you haven’t read the book, but the characters go through hell and back here.

Where The Hunger Games introduced us to this world where children were forced to fight to the death and Catching Fire lit the spark of a rebellion, Mockingjay becomes a war zone. Happy endings are hard to come by and there is a massacre around every corner, making this book so much darker than the last two.

Instead of going into the war zone of an arena, we are catapulted into a real war zone with bombs, gunfire, and death. The politics of it all leaves us unable to trust anything we learn. Everyone has motives for doing what they are doing, but it’s a matter of figuring just what is right that is the most difficult part. All this leads to so much inner turmoil for Katniss and a box of Kleenex may be needed to make it to the end. I know I was tearing up every few chapters.

Many characters face obstacles that we could never imagine and minor characters take on roles we could only have hoped for. The lies, deceit, hatred, anguish, despair, heartache, joy, and even hope take their toll. There were a few times when I just had to take a break and pull myself together because the book was just wiping me out. The death, the carnage, and the emotional upheaval are a lot to take. Collins never lets us forget that we are in a war zone with Katniss and in war, there are no winners. Fighting a war is not easy and there will be casualties and consequences, lives lost and lives destroyed.

The war zone mentality detracts from the Team Peeta/Team Gale atmosphere that lingered in the last two books, but the relationship between Peeta/Katniss/Gale is still explored with insurmountable care and delicacy. With all that has happened, one can only hope that all of them can find some sort of peace.

Suzanne Collins did something special with this series. Not only is the world of THG absolutely captivating, it is thought-provoking and emotional. Mockingjay is a heart-wrenching finale that will leave readers thinking about it long after turning that final page. The rollercoaster ride of emotions left me drained from the intensity of a world where a girl lit the spark that ignited a nation.

Opening line: I stare down at my shoes, watching as a fine layer of ash settles on the worn leather. ~ pg. 3

Favorite line: Closing my eyes doesn’t help. Fire burns brighter in the darkness. ~ pg. 352

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mockingjay.

08/24/2010 page 178
45.0% "Wow...that's all I can think right now."