Angel 's Reviews > China in the 21st Century

China in the 21st Century by Jeffrey N. Wasserstrom

190365
Sep 03, 10

bookshelves: current-affairs, history, politics-and-political-science
Recommended for: anyone wanting to learn about China
Read from August 24 to September 03, 2010, read count: 1

This was a very good introduction to the country of China. If you all you know about China is that they are Communists and big, then you really need to read this book. The author delivers on a big challenge: presenting a primer on Chinese history and culture that is accessible and concise. I think he achieves that pretty well. You get the key points of Chinese culture and history, and you will certainly feel like you learned something by the end of the book. The strength of the book lies in the fact that the author clearly strives to be objective. The best part, for me at least, is when he goes over the similarities between the United States and China. He is basically showing readers that while the nations are different, they also have many things in common. This book is definitely a must-read if you want to learn more on this topic. And given China's ascendancy in the world, what we may hear in the news (truth or speculation), this book goes a long way to put things in context.

Oxford so far is doing a good job in this series. The one on Cuba I read (which is reviewed here on GR too) is also excellent. These are books that as a librarian I would not hesitate to recommend to readers wanting to learn more on a topic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read China in the 21st Century.

08/25/2010 page 18
09/01/2010 page 62
38.0% "Looking now at the legacy of Mao, good and bad. Actually, the author does a good effort to be unbiased and give both sides of the argument, which is good."
09/01/2010 page 71
43.0% "Paraphrasing a bit: Deng Xiaoping is known for saying he did not care if a cat was black or white. If the cat caught mice, it was a good cat. Food for thought."
09/02/2010 page 96
59.0% "Into modern China now. Why big spectacles (like the Olympics) are important to the Chinese, and other things."
show 4 hidden updates…