S.A. Larsen's Reviews > Life, Liberty, and Pursuit

Life, Liberty, and Pursuit by Susan Kaye Quinn

Aug 20, 2010

Read in July, 2010

I am a visual person. Book covers do influence me. When I first saw the cover of LIFE, LIBERTY,AND PURSUIT, I wasn't sure I was going to like it. But it grew on me, encapsulating the story to a greater degree than I could have imagined. It fits; it really does.

This story was a pleasure to read. The writing was easy to read, and had a poignant almost poetic flow to it. Scenes were ordered for a quick pace which made the story hard to put away at times. It didn't have or need any big, bad villians or paranormal monsters lurking around every corner to drive my interest. The character driven threads were plenty to keep me reading.

At times I found myself fully drawn into the minds and hearts of Eliza and David, as if I had known them...And herein lies when I began cheering for their success. I especially enjoyed the awkward moments of their relationship. I think most people, regardless of age, could relate. This story was sweet and quaint, yet real and true to the trials a newly graduated teenage girl would face. My favorite character arch was how Eliza and David grew together. Susan does a magnificent job of subtly mapping out the struggles and growth of a young relationship. It is a thing of beauty, and these two characters, in my opinion, will stand the test of time.

As a writer, I found myself learning from the ease of Susan's style. She has a way of soothing her reader into a scene, and then before the reader knows it the scene is over, filling them yet leaving them a little bit hungry. It worked.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life, Liberty, and Pursuit.

message 1: by C. (new)

C. McKenzie Congratulations on the super review!!!!

message 2: by Midnightgirl (new)

Midnightgirl To bad she doesn't give other authors the same opportunity. Being a Beta on Twilighted, she likes to reject people and shoot them down. Maybe she can't stand the competition.