Sweetman Sweetman's Reviews > Bicycle Diaries

Bicycle Diaries by David Byrne

Aug 20, 10

bookshelves: great-find, library-find, you-must-read-this
Recommended to Sweetman by: library find
Recommended for: everyone, travel and bicyle lovers especially
Read on August 01, 2010, read count: 1-happily

I loved this book. It was a quick read, very interesting and now I AM DYING FOR A FOLDING BICYCLE! I know I can pay better attention to life around me and see interesting things in typically boring places. I know I'll be able to find a concrete box building with just one metal door and a lightbulb affixed to the side of it as its only decoration fascinating if I am riding on a folding bicycle. I just know it.
The lovely character of this book is that you feel as though your alongside Mr. Byrne. He recorded his thoughts as he rode around cities while he was touring. It sounds so glamorous but though his writing we learn there is little glamour on the road and there is less glamour on two wheels--which is the beauty of this book.
David Byrnes leisurely rides through cities like Detroit, Niagra Falls, Valencia, CA, Sweetwater, TX and Columbus, OH. We get a good looks at small parts, get a great feeling of the vibe and interetingly, he is a terrific teacher of city and highway infrastructure! America is a car-nation, that is for sure and David Byrne is a brave adventurer to venture into the heart of some of these places. It's a beautiful, rare and honest view of some of the places in America you'd probably never ever care to see.
He takes his bike to Europe and South America, the Phillipines and Australia. There he gives us glimpses of people, places and life that just can't be experienced from a hotel, a tour bus or a tourist attraction.
I knew I would love this book because it's about travel and a bicycle. I had no idea I would love it for its perspective, for the feeling that I too experienced his encounters and observations.
4 likes • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bicycle Diaries.

message 1: by Ken (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ken FWIW, I have a Brompton folding bicycle, and I love it.