AnnaMay's Reviews > Cold Sassy Tree

Cold Sassy Tree by Olive Ann Burns

Aug 20, 10

Read in August, 2010

What a great 'southern story.'

Grandpa is such an entertaining character. He does what we wish we all had the gumption to do. I love how he is so deep-thinking and how his religious convictions are so logical, despite what the cultural norm was at the time.

Miss Love -- I'm so glad that authors deliberately choose characters' names to coincide with their part in the story. Her name is so fitting. I was wrapped up in her story for sure. Hoorah for her.

The narrator in the story is such a good ole boy. I found myself picturing him more around twelvish, so I was surprised when the story named him at 15. His experience with romance is so true to how things happen when we're young and in love. The way he describes his physical feelings and his emotions is spot on. I love the honesty in his character....especially when it comes to telling about 'Aunt Loma.' I can't BELIEVE some of the stuff he pulled on her.

This book is definitely a keeper. The funerals that Grandpa participated in/directed were one of the richest parts of the story. I'm glad to have so complete a synopsis of life with all of its ins and outs.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cold Sassy Tree.