Angie's Reviews > Buddha: A Story of Enlightenment

Buddha by Deepak Chopra

Aug 20, 2010

Read from August 20 to 27, 2010

For you interested in spirituality and/or Buddhism:

Deepak Chopra’s version of Buddha’s story is wonderful; the Indian accent reading it to me also made me smile. I don’t think this book would be my first choice for an introduction to the story of Buddha, but I do think it would be my 2nd. Ha, ha. No really. It is like many of the stories I’ve heard before but also extremely different. He goes into great depth with the story so the book is not full of Buddhism but story of the prince. The end is the most enjoyable (at least for me) because I am still “grasping” for truth.

One of my favorite parts when Budda is speaking to his 5 monk friends:
Monk: “And, if you want me to renounce this lifetime as a phantom, haven’t I already renounced it by becoming a monk?” Buddha: “You renounced only the outer trappings. A saffron robe doesn’t make you feel desire. And desire is what has kept you a prisoner.... What if there is no holy life? . . . . even holiness has become food for your ego.”

Most people spend their whole lives running toward pleasure & running away from pain. This is not to be confused with happiness though. We work to hard & get caught up in the paradoxes & words. Kindness should make it easy but it is so hard to forget.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Buddha.