Marko's Reviews > Content Strategy for the Web

Content Strategy for the Web by Kristina Halvorson

Mar 17, 11

Read in February, 2011

The most important thing I realised, when I read this book is:
You are on the web => You are publisher.

Well the author said that if you or your organization has a web site, then you are a publisher but I guess my claim could also hold in this web 2.0 times (or are we already 3.0?). One other thing to keep in mind is that this is not a book about web writing. It's about content strategy - for the web.

Content strategy consists of:
+ creation, + delivery, + governance.

This book more specifically deals with:
+ how to plan the content strategy;
+ how to create a content but don't expect to learn how to write for your web site;
+ governing the content.

The whole book is written with the presumption that you/your organization is already on the web or has a web site. Which seems like a must today for everybody. So if we follow the most important thing to remember from this book, about being a publisher, this means that everybody today already is a publisher. I guess that's not far away from the facts. And if you are a publisher and want to be successful publisher, you need a content strategy. This book definitely helped me to rethink my own blog and about my company's web content.

If I already talk about a web site, to me it was interesting to realize, that a mid-sized web site was one that has 200 to 1.200 pages. And inside such a web site for example it is pretty straightforward clear that you should develop your linking strategy. Or will you use automated linking service like Zemanta, for example?

When delivering content, we have options to choose between:
+ original content,
+ aggregated content,
+ co-created content,
+ licensed content,
+ user-generated content.

And I was impressed to realise how many people profiles could actually be engaged in content creation. The list of profiles is:
+ content requesters,
+ content providers,
+ content creators,
+ content reviewers,
+ content approvers,
+ content publisher.

And if it that is not enough, once your web site is live you could need profiles like:
+ web editor-in-chief,
+ web editor,
+ web writer,
+ search engine optimization strategist,
+ reviewers and approvers.

From the numerous profiles above it is clear that copy is not content. In content creation there are numerous profiles involved. And author goes further in claiming that user experience (UX) design is not the answer to a successful web site but the collaboration across disciplines. That, in my opinion is the reason why this is not such an easy task, actually.

For some professional, be that marketing, communications or other it might be interesting to realise where content strategy stand when compared to brand strategy. Well content strategy is not about the talk. It's about how you walk the talk. And messages from your brand strategy are not your content.

There is one other news to have in mind when you have a web site. Your content is never really finished. Sorry, says author of this book, Kristina Halvorson. And one other piece of advice. Take your social media efforts like a commitment not like a campaign. So, stop thinking "launch". Start thinking "lifecycle". I couldn't agree more.

And for almost a gig like me it was interesting to see two diagrams. One is: How to measure content effectiveness? Diagram was developed at the Content Delivery & Analysis Ltd:
[image error]

For the end of this review only one remark from the author. If your are some kind of web professional, you probably saw a diagram the Elements of user experience. Well I didn't. And the author recommends to not think of content as a feature as maybe it could be said from this diagram, originally developed by Jesse James Garrett.
[image error]

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Content Strategy for the Web.

02/20/2011 page 101

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Inanc (new) - added it

Inanc Gumus I think one person can also be responsible from a few roles if in case.

Marko Yes, I agree. Especially when in situation you don't have the budget to hire all the specialists.

message 3: by Inanc (new) - added it

Inanc Gumus Yes, Marko, exactly.