Kristjan's Reviews > Soul of the Fire

Soul of the Fire by Terry Goodkind

May 08, 08

bookshelves: epic-fantasy, abandoned, reviewed

After a great start,this series sank fast; I just can't get past my utter contempt for the protagonist to continue.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Soul of the Fire.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Greg Plante Hey Kristjan! A friend of mine is trying to get me to read this series. Do you think it's worth it despite the bad review or should I not bother? I'm a slow reader, so I try to choose carefully. Thanks!
-greg

Shannon (Giraffe Days) Greg, I have the same problem (and more) as Kristjan with this series but I'd still recommend it. The first book is really good, and up till Faith of the Fallen it's relatively propaganda-free. It's a long series but it has been finished, so you don't have to wait several years between books (always a sore point!). Try the first book at least, it's pretty good as a stand-alone really.

message 3: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey I think the first few books but no more than 4 or 5 are worth reading. I got tripped up on the one hand by the author's serious sadistic and gruesome descriptions as well as the fact that you had to wait between books. That being said, the first book is really good.

Kristjan Hi Greg ... that all depends on what you like in books. I make no bones about the fact that I need to like the main character and there are certain violent and/or crude behaviors that are guaranteed to turn me away.

After the first book, which I did actually like quite a bit, I started to feel that the main character ... and perhaps even the author ... was starting to display serious psychological issues that made the series not fun ... and I got better things to do at that point. If you have other books on your list ... I'd give it a pass. If you are looking for something quick ... the first book IS pretty good ... and if you have ever read (and liked) the Thomas Covenant series ... you would probably enjoy this series as well.

Greg Plante Thanks everyone for your feedback on this series. I don't have a particular problem with protagonists with issues to some extent - as long as they don't turn into Gregor Clegane.
Everyone seems to agree that the first book is good, so looks like I'll be learning what the Wizard's first rule is ;) (insert bad Fight club reference here)