Christine's Reviews > The Tale of Halcyon Crane

The Tale of Halcyon Crane by Wendy Webb

Feb 04, 13

bookshelves: 2010-reads

Haille James discovers a letter in her mailbox that turns everything she has know to be true in her life upside-down. Her mother, thought dead for thirty years has, in fact, only just recently died. Haille travels to the somewhat remote island her mother called home, only to discover a large inheritance that comes with a few ghosts attached.

Overall, this was not a bad ghost story, filled with all the things one expects: victorian mansion, graveyards, unfriendly townsfolk, the omnipresent elderly maid and the dashing romantic interest. This book had been described as “giving Bram Stoker and Stephen King a run for their travel budget” (whatever that means?). I enjoyed the book and, it is definitely a good first effort by a debut novelist but I would in no way compare it to Stoker and King (who probably shouldn’t even be compared to each other).
1 like • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tale of Halcyon Crane.

Carol Her father died AFTER she got that letter in her mailbox, not before.

Christine Carol wrote: "Her father died AFTER she got that letter in her mailbox, not before."

Noted ... thanks. BAd choice of wording on my part.