Dlora's Reviews > Sweet and Deadly

Sweet and Deadly by Charlaine Harris

Aug 20, 10

bookshelves: murder-mystery
Read in August, 2010

This is Charlaine Harris's debut novel and it is very well written. Like all her subsequent stories, Harris's setting is where she is most comfortable--in the south. This story takes place in Lowfield, Missippippi, where small-town reporter Catherine Linton has returned to pull herself out of a black hole of depression and isolation caused by her parents death in a car accident. The story opens with Catherine stumbling on a dead body. Harris does a marvelous job describing how that impacts Catherine: the shock, the gruesomeness, and her realization that she is glad because she feels it will reopen the investigation into the deaths of her parents. And she wants revenge. The one element that I felt was lacking was a bit of lightness. Admittedly, the story is about a murder, in fact, several murders, but it seemed a bit too intense and too heavy. Nevertheless, the writing was excellent, the characters were well-drawn--even the minor characters (my favorite person was a bit-player, Angel), there is a touch of romance, the red herrings are credible, and the solution is intriguing (although I figured it out before the end! pat myself on the back).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sweet and Deadly.