M.J. Fiori's Reviews > The Magicians

The Magicians by Lev Grossman

Imagine that the kids from Donna Tartt's The Secret History attended a Harry Potter-like school and were obsessed with Narnia and the many tales spun about it. That would be this book, a coming-of-age novel in which storybook tales no longer turn out to have pat, satisfying, meaningful endings, and life after "Brakebills" (i.e. Hogwarts) is not all portentous fairydust-strewing in a tight-knit community of worldwide wizards. The main difficulty with growing up is figuring out what great evil is out there to battle - or if the battle is even worth it. Not so different for young adults trying to "find themselves" (for lack of a better term) in our nonmagical world.

This book has an interesting premise that is handled competently at best. I think the author might have greatness in him, and this is his early work.

N.B. two years later: I thought when I finished this that I would certainly read the sequel, but it's been out for quite some time now and I have no desire whatsoever to pick it up. Even though I own it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magicians.