Patty's Reviews > The Lacuna

The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver

Aug 20, 2010

bookshelves: readin10
Read from October 05 to 17, 2010

I don't give a book the 5 stars without much consideration. This author's beautiful language and the things she taught me make Lacuna very special to me.
I found myself in the bright and colorful world of Frida Kahlo's Mexico, and the gloomy sphere of the iron curtain and our country's disturbing consequences of McCarthyism. A real work of art that took me away from my cozy home.
It's not a quick read or one you can put down without considering all the circumstances of all the main characters. Hope and hopelessness, truth and misinformation are always present . Kingsolver requires you to think and search your heart and soul. I can't wait to discuss this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lacuna.

02/06/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Janine (new)

Janine Desvaux I can't get into this book. So unlike others by her. Dislike!

Karen I had originally started this book a few years ago, put it down because it didn't inspire me like Kingsolver's other books (she's one of my favorite novelists). But recently I picked it up again, and now I am hooked. I find her use of language beautiful, as you do, Patty, and her characters very interesting. I did kind of miss the parts when Shepherd was in Mexico, with all the upheaval and suspense of Trotsky's presence in their lives. But his position as a writer and relationship with Mrs. Brown are very compelling to me. I enjoy it when she integrates a different culture in her books, such as in Animal Dreams. My favorite of hers is Prodigal Summer, which I have re-read several times. I also love seeing her personal beliefs come alive in her books.