Scott's Reviews > The Darkness That Comes Before

The Darkness That Comes Before by R. Scott Bakker

Aug 20, 10

bookshelves: owned-physical, series

I'm rereading this series as I saw that there is a sequel trilogy out - I picked it up a couple years ago, and it is the series that got me started on enjoying a subgenre of fantasy that could be best summed up, as a friend did as "It's interesting, layered, and populated with bastards."

I call it my bad people doing bad things to worse people.

The series follows two main characters; one the heir to long-lost (and I do mean long - millennial) empire, trained by monks into the "perfect" being - capable of reading men's souls by their subconscious actions; and a broken down wizardly spy, who's school of magic while powerful, is small and weaker. There is a new war, a Holy War, and ancient enemies that where the skin of man over most unnatural bodies.

This book begins with the march to war. Plots and counter plots, both small and large can be found here and there, but Bakker manages to keep them all distinct enough to track, with chapters skipping from location to location every 50-60 pages, frequently enough to give you the passage of time, but not so frequent that you start losing track of where you were.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Darkness That Comes Before.