Catherine's Reviews > Blue Sweater

Blue Sweater by Jacqueline Novogratz

F 50x66
Aug 20, 2010

Read in August, 2010 — I own a copy

I carried this book around for a while, I thought it would be interesting and I should read it but I also thought it was likely to be a touch strong on 'being worthy!' and therefore hard going.... So as I am often looking for some escapism I kept putting off actually starting it. How wrong I was, once started it took me three days to read and blew me away!

This is a beautifully constructed book that takes you through the personal life journey of Jackueline Novogratz and her approach to giving dignity, tools and voice back to the worlds poor. She brings to life the stories of the many people she has worked with who challenge notions of charity and work tirelessly to equip the most poor with the power to change their own lives. She argues that we are all interconnected and to make change takes more than just empathy but must be combined with convinction, skill and courgage to make things happen.

The book is both humbling and inspiring and draws on experiences and people from accross the gobal, referencing some of the greatest 'change makers'. As the media constantly bombards us with negativity we so often miss hearing about the real heroes( those who don't do things for their own ego) and difference that people are making.

Whether you are driven by the need/ desire to 'make a difference', simply interested in experiences of different countries, or want to be insprired than this is book for you!

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blue Sweater.