Carolyn Storer's Reviews > Scarlett Dedd

Scarlett Dedd by Cathy Brett

Aug 20, 2010

bookshelves: young-adult, book-list-2010
Read from October 13 to 15, 2010

Originally posted on my blog: Book Chick City.

"Scarlett Dedd" is a wonderful book combining story with illustration. It's also full of wit, great teenage characters and a fun, ghoulish plot.

Scarlett is pretty much ignored at school, but she does have a few friends who share her love of gory horror movies - sometimes they even try and make their own. But a school trip is imminent and she just cant face the dumb comments that she knows she will get from the other kids at school, so she thinks up a plan that would get her out of going: wild mushrooms. Unfortunately these mushrooms do more than just make Scarlett sick, they make her dead. Her family shortly follows her, after eating her deadly mushroom risotto.

The story follows Scarlett as she comes to terms with her demise - there are lots of funny, but also slightly dark moments where Scarlett tries to kill her friends, Rip, Taz, Psycho and JP, so she won't miss them so much and be so lonely. Scarlett also tries to have fun with her new ghostly abilities by scaring her friends silly, which she thinks is hilarious, at first, until she realises that there are extremely unpleasant consequences for coming into contact with the living.

Scarlett is a great character. I loved her funny, snarky humour and her very teenage voice. There are lots of 'it's so not fair!', which brought a nostalgic understanding smile to my face.

The ending to "Scarlett Dedd" wraps things up nicely but the reader is left with Scarlett meeting two new ghost friends...including a very cute boy-ghost! I hope the story continues as I would love to read more about Scarlett's ghost-life.

However, there was one very small aspect to "Scarlett Dedd" which I found a bit distracting and it was how the text was formatted. Most of the time it was readable and it fit in well with the story, but there are a couple of pages where the text swirls round in circles and the only way to read it is to turn the book round with it - this was too much for me and I ended up skipping those particular pages... younger kids may find this a fun aspect to the book, but I didn't... maybe I'm just too old ;)

VERDICT:

"Scarlett Dedd" is a really enjoyable book and I appreciated the accompanying drawings by the author, they are a great addition, complimenting the story well and add to the already spooky atmosphere... A perfect read for Halloween!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scarlett Dedd.

06/14/2015 marked as: read