Song's Reviews > Victoria and the Rogue

Aug 20, 10

it was ok
bookshelves: 2010, romance
Read from August 19 to 20, 2010

Sixteen year old Victoria is on her way back to England from India to find herself a husband. But she is still en route when she becomes engaged to the handsome and charming Lord Malfrey. That is good. There comes into her life yet another not-so-handome gentleman who proves to be a real thorn in her side. That is not good. And between managing these two men Victoria feels she has a great responsibility in managing the affairs of her cousins - the Gardiners.

I picked this one up (having been told by a friend that Cabot wrote light-hearted, feel-good fluff)for an easy, relaxed read - my first Meg Cabot - and I wasn't at all impressed. For one, the style was a little contrived, obviously written by someone who doesn't know much about the Regency era and for whom the language of the day does not come easily. Secondly, way too many liberties are taken with utter disregard to the social etiquette of the time. I also found it gratingly annoying that the heroine was off to rectify and improve everyone while she seemed to be twice as faulty as anyone. She is quite the shrew and a very interfering busy body with too much self consequence. I think this is a story that could easily have been finished in less than a hundred pages for most of it was repeated, mindless pontification on Victoria's part.

I have watched The Princess Diaries movies and enjoyed them. But this book was a real disappointment. I realise that it is written for teenagers, but surely it could have been better! Also, to anyone used to reading well flushed out Regency romances (especially Georgette Heyer) this is a farce. I'm sorely tempted to never read Cabot again...but I suppose she is better with something contemporary? I will give one of The Princess Diaries a try.

While I would have given this just one star, there were three or four instances where I did laugh and so it gets a two.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Victoria and the Rogue.

message 1: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey I started Princess Diaries and I was not terribly impressed (the movies were cute). They were jumbly and confusing (and apparently "jumbly" is not a word, but it ought to be).

Mayra Hey there! I'm currently reading Victoria and The Rogue and I have found your review very helpful. I've always wanted to read Georgette Heyer, but don't know where to start... Can you reccommend one of her books to me so I can start on a great note? Thanks!

Song Mayra wrote: "I've always wanted to read Georgette Heyer, but don't know where to start... Can you reccommend on..."

Hi!:) I always love recommending Georgette Heyer to people! She's the best where Regency romances are concerned, I believe. Here are some of my Heyer favourites that I would recommend anyone start on:
Friday's Child, Sylvester, Venetiaor The Unknown Ajax.

Song Lindsey wrote: "I started Princess Diaries and I was not terribly impressed (the movies were cute). They were jumbly and confusing (and apparently "jumbly" is not a word, but it ought to be)."

Looks like I won't be reading any more Meg Cabots then!!

Mayra Thanks a lot Risa! :)

Song You're welcome. :)